Image 1 of 1
The 70 foot tall red and white brick lighthouse was built in 1850. It was the first lighthouse in Massachusetts with a Fresnel lens, which was replaced in 1950 with a rotating aerobeacon. The light was automated in 1965 but Coast Guard personnel occupied the station until 1992. In 2007, the Sankaty Head Lighthouse was moved from the edge of an eroding bluff to its current location, 250 feet from the bluff's edge, near the fifth hole of the Sankaty Head Golf Course and overlooking the Nantucket moors. Sankaty, from the Indian "sankoty," means "highland.".
- © 2010 Marianne A. Campolongo
- Image Size
- 4256x2832 / 8.1MB
- Contained in galleries
- Massachusetts, By the Sea: East Coast Beaches Boats & Lighthouses